Monday, October 4, 2010

Jaxom Day 2

Jaxsom had a very uneventful night, other than getting off the bed at some point and not being able to get back on….Silly boy
As usual Pat gets up before me and feeds the dogs (maybe I should do it tomorrow). After he finished eating he headed out the back door all on his own…..he is such a good boy.  When I do venture downstairs he is curled up on the couch and as soon as he sees me he is up and bouncing…… he is such a good boy.  
I think he has already learned that when he heads to his crate he either gets fed or treated. He spends his first day without us and seems to have weathered it ok. When I get home from work he greets me at the door along with the others. Bouncing and squirming like crazy then showering me with doggie kisses when I pick him up. He seems to like playing the catch the paw game and gets quite animated.
But then about half way through his dinner he crashes…..I notice he is sitting in the back of his crate not moving and looking lost. He is unresponsive to my voice and when I take him out and try to stand him it is like his back is arched and he wants to stand on his toes….or would if he had any balance.  We try to feed him some honey but it seems to have little if any effect. I just wrap him in a blanket and hold him. His muscles seem to relax after about 10-15 minutes but he is still zoned out and if he moves his head bobs around as if not overly steady. After about 45 minutes he pops up and begins with the doggies kisses again.  He seems so tired after and has been napping on my lap for the past hour, but responsive to my voice and touch. I am sure that if he could talk he’d tell me to piss off and let him sleep.
This is the second time I have witnessed this and both times he had been very active and bouncy shortly before and very tired after. I am hoping that this is nothing too serious. I spoke to a Vet acquaintance this evening and she suggests doing blood work to check liver enzymes and ammonia levels as things like liver disease can cause this type of neurological activity. I’ll try to get him in tomorrow for the blood work.
Right now I have a very happy, normal (very skinny) dog sitting on my lap licking my nose and chin…..I only hope he gets to be like this full time.
I want to say a huge thank you to Dr A. Soltan for taking the time this evening to speak to me about Jax.

No comments:

Post a Comment