Sunday, October 3, 2010

Jaxom Day 1

This is my attempt to document the story of Jaxom our newest Rat Terrier Rescue Canada Foster. I want to document his journey from start to finish.

Jaxom was pulled from a shelter approx 1 month ago after being picked up as a stray. At the time he was about 6 pounds and was so stressed he wasn't eating. Once he left the shelter he was found to have Kennel Cough...not a great start. He spent time with a temp foster who nursed him through and arranged to have him neutered.

So Friday he leaves Kentucky on his way to our home. Sat afternoon we meet the transport to find this small sorry looking little creature who is shivering like crazy. We wrap him in a blanket and the first thing he does is lick my face. This is a dog that just spend the past 24 hours being passed from car to car....it is like he is saying thank you.

He makes the short ride home curled up in his blanket on my lap. He eats well and introduces himself the other dogs in the house.....He goes right up nose to nose with the Rotties and shows no fear or in-security.

He then spends his first evening with us curled up on the couch under a blanket with Pat. At bedtime I really do not want to crate him so I take him to bed with us.....once again it was O Boy!, a blanket and he curls up by my knees, goes to sleep and moves very little all night.

Morning comes and as the dogs head out of the bedroom I can't find Jax....I head a soft whimper and he his slipped of the end of the bed and is wedged in a pocket where the sheet is tucked under the mattress...

His first full day with us is a busy one at an agility demo. He travels in the crate with the others very well. After we have setup he goes for a short stroll with the other Ratties....He does not walk overly well as just does not seem to have a lot of strength...So he spends most of the day either napping in a cozy blanket on the seat or riding around in my jacket with his nose poking out watching everything.

On his next potty break he walks a bit more but seem to trip and fall unto his side and can't get up....I fear the worst that there my be neurological problems. He seems to be having trouble maintaining his balance but does take a few treats and water. I keep a very close eye on him and within an hour her was back up and bouncing and happy. A vet tech in our group suggested that everything seem to fit with hypoglycemia because of the lack of body fat. So we will continue to monitor him and feed him more, smaller meals throughout the day...and keep some honey handy in case it happens again.

After dinner he chases the others trying play for a while then back under the blankets on the couch. I expect that given his lack of weight that he will tire easily and sleep lots.

As I write this he has come to visit and is laying on my lap. We will see how tonight goes and I will post more as there is more to tell. I will also post pictures on a regular basis so we can see his development.


You can see from his Day 1 pics that he is very thin and his coat is not very healthy looking.




No comments:

Post a Comment